Monday, October 7, 2013

Mukono, Uganda September 30, 2013




 I miss you!! but I’m doing much better. Just took some time to adjust I think. I’m happy; I've (so far) been healthy. and I know I’m not alone. so what more could I need!

First, well you already know about my apartment.. but like I mentioned there are rats living inside the oven somehow. They come out when we leave the apartment and poop everywhere. Anyways. the other day we ran out of propane for the stove and so we decided to try the electric hotplate. Our oven is a little sketchy; wires are exposed in the back. well while it was heating up and I was cooking some eggs, all of the sudden there was a BLAST of sparks out of the back of the oven. Then is started to smell like a burnt dish rag.. One of the rats stepped on a live wire! killed one! What a blessing! haha only 2 more left in there! hahaha

Second, Food here is awful however I am teaching myself to just chew swallow chew swallow, no matter what it is... its working out pretty well. I’ve eaten matoka and a bunch of other nasty stuff. This week I tried a Rolex. Best thing ever! they are so good. they take a flat bread, cook eggs on a skillet then put more flat bread on top then roll it up. they are delicious so I try to get a big one as often as I can. they are super greasy :)
 

Next, we are in the most difficult area in the whole mission. I’m not just saying it. It’s what everyone has said and is what I am experiencing. we are having just next to no success. We teach about 7 lessons a day which is good. Also our area in Mukono is called Kitete (chi-teh-taye) as no men at home during the day so we just walk and walk and walk. there is only one church building here so if we get too far away then it’s a guarantee they won’t come to church because they would have to pay a taxi. Oh well the lord has us here for a reason.

I can definitely say my new found strength was not from me. That Alma 26 hit me like a hammer after I read it last week, also in my patriarchal blessing it said "The Lord needs your service, And you certainly need his strength. Together, you will work for the greater good of mankind." so I knelt down and I said look you need my service and I need yours. You give me the strength and I’ll stop complaining.. BAM ever since I've been doing great. But it’s dependent on both the lord and I. That's why I said I am definitely not alone.

So the taxi's here are vans and they seat about 9 people when everyone has their own seat but they always jam the PACKED!. well the other day Elder Hall and I climbed into one, guess how many people in it... 20! (including us) it was crazy!! that’s Africa for you!

 

The people act super interested and promise to read and come to church... then they don’t.. however we are teaching one guy that is progressing right along. He is doing awesome and it’s a golden find because he is a father and him and his wife are already married (Here in Uganda, it’s hard to find legally married couples, the man has to pay introduction to the woman’s father, which is pretty much like buying the woman. but you can get married till after you do this, so most haven’t because they have no money. the church does offer free marriages though) he is coming to church and loving it we teach him often and if all goes well than he should get baptized next Saturday! the first baptism in years! the retention here is about 40 percent..

Anyways that’s all I’ve got for this week! I love you guys so much and miss you so much! keep an eye on Ciara.  Sounds like you still have my scooter, how’s my beautiful car doing?

My first meal was bread and bananas ha cool huh? the humidity is weird sometimes it’s crazy humid and other times its not but we are entering the rainy season so it’s about to sky rocket. Best thing that has happened is I’m really just learning to trust in the lord, my faith is really increasing and I know I’m just here to grow. I realized that this mission will strengthen EVERY single one of my weaknesses so I’m starting to be a lot more grateful for this opportunity to become such a better person. I’m becoming who my Father in Heaven needs me to be. I love you so, so much! I’ll talk to you again next week! Bye!

Your Son,

 Elder Bennion

 


No comments:

Post a Comment